Thursday 9 August 2012

Rachel

Final Reflections

What an experience!! For so many reasons one that will not be forgotten in a hurry.
With such a stressful build up to the trip itself for one reason and another I didn't really have time to think about what I may encounter whilst away, and to be honest that was probably not a bad thing as I don't think any amount of preparation would have made any difference in managing to process what we saw!

There will always be various social groupings and classes within any society, but to be slapped in the face with it before even touching down in the aeroplane was possibly the biggest reality check we could have ever got, from the sky we saw blue tarpaulins stretch far and wide (these were the roofs to slums) and they would go right up to the walls of multi storey apartment blocks, mansions and even the airport runway! Every spare bit of land was either a building, a slum or the rubbish tip, I'm surprised we didn't all want to turn back at the realisation of just how great, and overwhelming, the need is and how insignificant I certainly felt it with regards to what sort of a difference could I make, I mean after all I am only 1 person!!

Having said that, however, I must admit naïvety when it comes to believing how much 1 person can do if it of Gods will! I was not once short of admiration for all the people God has put in place to do his will with the people of Kolkata, to say their trust in him was awe-inspiring and inspirational is an understatement! In the case of Annie & Kerry @ Freeset who gave up their lives in New Zealand and up rooted their 4 small children to help free women in the sex industry because that is what they felt God was telling them to do is  truly humbling to see; that someone can trust and rely on God that much to provide them with all their needs made me question just how much we really do trust in, or rely on God? Then there were those working with children, either from the streets in the mobile school, with the babies in the day care centre or housing the under 18 year old girls from the trafficking industry, all these people had it put on their hearts that thisis what God wanted them to set up or work in and again it was a very hard question I found myself asking that why is it those who have so little are able to give so much?????
A truly life changing experience and I feel blessed to be part of!

Kolkota to me in 3 words: amazing, colourful, unforgettable.          

No comments:

Post a Comment